There's more to eating your greens than munching on a stalk of broccoli. Learn the benefits of incorporating more greens in your daily diet.
Top 10 Greens For Your Daily Diet
Here are the top 10 dark, leafy "greens" on our list.
- Turnip Greens
- Swiss Chard
- Mustard Greens
- Red and Green Leaf, and Green Romaine Lettuce
- Iceberg Lettuce
Canada's Food Guide recommends that adults eat 7 - 10 servings vegetables and fruit every day (click the link for children, teens & seniors). A serving of vegetables can mean any vegetable, of course. But including one of the traditional "greens" from the list above really pack an extra nutritional punch to help you live younger.
Why greens? What are the benefits?
- The stresses of work and responsibilities can take its toll on your body. Studies show that stress accelerates disease and illness in your body, building up toxins and waste.
- Greens are great for replacing minerals such as zinc, magnesium and calcium. Greens will flush the toxins and your gut will thank you.
- Greens are packed with vitamin B, known as the energy vitamins. You'll also get ample amounts of vitamins A, C, and E.
- Looking for cancer fighting antioxidants? Eat your greens.
How Can You Add Greens to Your Daily Diet?
You can up your green intake in simple ways. Think about adding 1 green to lunch and supper. After a week or so, begin having greens as a midday snack.
Spinach and kale chips are a crunchy tasty way to snack away your greens. Just pre-heat your oven to 300,place clean and dry leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet. A stone works best. Brush both sides of leaves lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for about 20 minutes.
Add greens to your smoothie.
Oven roasted broccoli and garlic is a great midafternoon snack or side to any meal. Heat your oven to 450. Wash and dry broccoli florets and place single layer on a baking sheet. A stone works best. Brush with olive oil. Roast for 5 minutes and turn. Roast for 5 minutes and add minced garlic. Roast for 3-5 minutes longer. Add seas salt and enjoy!
Getting enough greens does not have to be a chore. When you feed your body what it needs you will move your newfound energy.
For more ideas on how to live younger, more vibrant life, contact us.