Written by Janette Mason, CNP
You have been combing through health blogs online, in the hopes of making sense of all the research and opinions out there on how to support the immune system. We get it, as of 2020 it has been information OVERLOAD and many of us are feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to start.
In response to the countless questions we have received about immunity we though it would be important to simplify things and let you know our 5 tips for immunity.
Your immune system is INCREDIBLE – it grows with you and learns to adapt to different colds and viruses that you encounter throughout your life1. As wonderful as the immune system is, there are things in our life that can reduce its effectiveness.
Some of factors that can depress immunity include2:
- Poor diet
- Lack of sleep and proper rest
- Excess weight
- Mental stress
So, it goes without saying, that addressing these factors are an important part of supporting the immune system long-term.
Sometimes however, we need additional support – this is where specific supplements can make a big difference.
Mushrooms are a fantastic place to start when it comes to supporting the immune system. According to Health Canada, some mushrooms such as Reishi are used in Herbal Medicine as potent adaptogens to help increase energy and our resistance to stress.3They also have immunomodulating properties, which means they can support the immune system in different ways.3
Immunity and vitamin C tend to go hand-in-hand, and for good reason! Vitamin C contributes to immune defense by supporting various functions of the immune system.4
Another nutrient that you may not have heard of before but deserves recognition are beta-glucans. Beta-glucans are found in different plants like adaptogenic mushrooms, oats, and seaweed. There is a lot of research on them, looking at the role they play in supporting the immune system. Research shows that beta-glucans have a positive effect on different levels of the immune system and are a fantastic nutrient to include for immune support.5
Progressive has formulated a line of immune-support nutrients that should be top of mind when stocking your immune-support tool kit. Each formula from Progressive has been thoroughly researched and tested to ensure you will receive the optimal benefit from each ingredient. All mushrooms and herbs found in Progressive formulas are TRU-ID® certified, meaning that each ingredient has been DNA tested to ensure what is on the label, is in the capsule.
Our top 5 tips to support immunity include lifestyle tips that you can do everyday, as well as key supplements to give your immune system the support it needs.
Ensure you are eating well – this means a predominately whole-food diet with lots of colourful fruits and vegetables!
Include a daily immune support formula, like Immuno Daily Support.It’s formulated with beta-glucans, vitamin C and zinc, to provide your immune system support and you, peace of mind.
Practice mindfulness. This can look different for each individual – taking a walk, deep breathing, enjoying your coffee slowing in the morning… Studies show that an increase in stress can weaken the immune system2, so finding ways to support your relaxation response is important.
Include vitamin C as part of your immune tool kit. Vitamin C Complex is designed to work with your body as it includes multiple sources of vitamin C, complementary nutrients, and botanical extracts.
Try adding mushrooms to your routine! Specific mushrooms have been shown provide immune support. Mushroom Complex provides a fantastic blend of immune-support mushrooms as well as digestive enzymes to ensure you are able to receive the optimal benefit.
- Simon, A. K., Hollander, G. A., & McMichael, A. (2015). Evolution of the immune system in humans from infancy to old age. Biological sciences, 282(1821), 20143085. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2014.3085
- Nutrition and immunity. The Nutrition Source. (2021, January 27). Retrieved September 24, 2021, from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/nutrition-and-immunity/#:~:text=8%20Steps%20to%20Help%20Support,includes%20these%20types%20of%20foods.
- Health Canada. Mushrooms Monograph. Accessed May 25, 2020 at: http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn/atReq.do?atid=mushrooms.champignons&lang=eng
- Carr, A. C., & Maggini, S. (2017). Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients, 9(11), 1211. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9111211
- Vetvicka, V., Vannucci, L., Sima, P., & Richter, J. (2019). Beta Glucan: Supplement or Drug? From Laboratory to Clinical Trials. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 24(7), 1251. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24071251