Do tired eyes have you fighting for your life by 3 p.m.? If you’re like 25%+ of Canadians, you’re not alone. Struggling with sleep is incredibly common and sleep issues are on the rise. It’s estimated that 1 in 3 of us aren’t getting enough sleep, with almost 50% of Canadians waking up groggy on the daily. 1
Fortunately, there are ways you can support your sleep, like this delicious smoothie. Here’s how it helps:
- Research shows that eating carbs 4 hours before sleep can help with falling asleep sooner. Carbs, found in bananas, can also increase sleep-good neurotransmitters like serotonin and tryptophan.2
- Lavender, especially its scent, has a calming effect that can support sleep.
- Blueberries help boost sleep by offering magnesium, a mineral that helps the body relax, decrease stress, and aids in longer, more fulfilling slumber.3
- ½ a frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp dried culinary lavender
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil (room temp)
- 1 cup preferred milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- Blend all ingredients in a blender and pour into a glass.
- Stats Canada (2017). Accessed Sept 19, 2021 at: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/82-003-x/2017009/article/54857-eng.htm
- (2007, February 14). Carbs may help you fall asleep faster. WebMD. Retrieved October 18, 2022, from https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20070214/carbs-may-help-you-fall-asleep-faster#:~:text=Carbs%20which%20quickly%20raise%20blood,in%20sleep%2C%20the%20study%20suggests.
- Using magnesium for better sleep. Sleep Foundation. (2022, July 6). Retrieved October 18, 2022, from https://www.sleepfoundation.org/magnesium#:~:text=Magnesium%20helps%20the%20body%20relax,insomnia%2C%20sometimes%20even%20in%20combination.