Written by Dr. Filza Swalah
Whether you are new to your wellness journey or not, chances are you’ll most likely have some burning questions to help you unlock your next level of wellness. To help set the foundation of good health, here are some of the top 5 most frequently asked questions I get asked as a naturopathic doctor.
1. What should I look for in a multivitamin?
When it comes to choosing a multivitamin right for you, consider your age, sex, and activity levels. These 3 factors can determine what additional, supportive nutrients your body will need. Divided doses, although inconvenient, are a great way constantly supply nutrients to the body and deliver the right potency at the right time.
I also love to look for additional supportive nutrients in my multivitamin so I can get more bang for my buck! And that’s why Progressive Multivitamins are my favourite, because there is a multi specific to my needs and also provides me with extra antioxidant support, some botanical ingredients and green food concentrates making it a holistic, well-balanced supplement!
2. When should I take my supplements?
It depends on the supplements, but generally read the label and follow directions. Some supplements, like herbals and multivitamins are to be taken with food to prevent digestive upset.
You may have also noticed that some multivitamins say to take as divided doses, i.e., 1 capsule three times a day. This is to ensure you are getting a boost of vitamins and minerals throughout the day!
There is no preferred time to take a supplement unless it’s for something like sleep. Then take a sleep supporting supplement like Progressive Compete Sleep at least 30 minutes before bedtime. Aside from that, the best time to take supplements is when you will remember and turn it into a habit!
3. What should I look for in my supplements?
When it comes to choosing supplements, it’s important to look for formulas that have the best sources of ingredients along with supportive nutrients to help absorb and utilize key ingredients. It’s also important to choose supplements from a trusted brand, one that designs formulas using a combination of rigorous quality standards, conventional science, and natural medicine so you can get the most out of your supplement.
4. What ingredients can I take to support my sleep?
When it comes to sleep support, melatonin is top of mind. And don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love taking melatonin, but there is so much more that you can do ALONG with it. Herbs like skull cap, chamomile2 and rhodiola3 can help promote a state of relaxation and L-theanine can be very calming as well.4 Progressive Complete Sleep is a blend of quality ingredients which work synergistically to reset the body’s sleep wake cycle.
5. How can I support my immune system?
Vitamin C is a robust vitamin that can support your immune system, but there are ways to take your vitamin C to the next level. When it comes to choosing a vitamin C supplement look for additional ingredients that help your body digest and absorb the vitamin C like black pepper extract, so you get the most out of your supplement.5 Luckily you don’t have to look that much, Progressive’s Vitamin C Complex offers all of that!
- Brock C, Whitehouse J, Tewfik I, Towell T. American Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora): a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study of its effects on mood in healthy volunteers. Phytother Res. 2014 May;28(5):692-8. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5044. Epub 2013 Jul 22. PMID: 23878109.
- Srivastava, J. K., Shankar, E., & Gupta, S. (2010). Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future. Molecular medicine reports, 3(6), 895–901. https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2010.377
- Hao YF, Luo T, Lu ZY, Shen CY, Jiang JG. Targets and underlying mechanisms related to the sedative and hypnotic activities of saponins from Rhodiola rosea L. (crassulaceae). Food Funct. 2021 Nov 1;12(21):10589-10601. doi: 10.1039/d1fo01178b. PMID: 34585202.
- Williams JL, Everett JM, D'Cunha NM, Sergi D, Georgousopoulou EN, Keegan RJ, McKune AJ, Mellor DD, Anstice N, Naumovski N. The Effects of Green Tea Amino Acid L-Theanine Consumption on the Ability to Manage Stress and Anxiety Levels: a Systematic Review. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2020 Mar;75(1):12-23. doi: 10.1007/s11130-019-00771-5. PMID: 31758301.
- Atal, N., & Bedi, K. L. (2010). Bioenhancers: Revolutionary concept to market. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 1(2), 96–99. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-9476.65073